Model 1816 Musket Remington Alteration. Rifle and Sighted. SOLD
In the late 1840s the US military tested Maynard Tape Primer system on Military longarms. They also performed inventories of the muskets in storage with a goal of converting the best ones to percussion. The first conversions were cone in barrel. This type of conversion worked well with smooth bore ammunition, but was found defective when used with rifled ammunition. A chambered breech design was developed and was successful. In 1854 the military intended to adopt the Maynard Tape Primer system and wanted to upgrade some of the smooth bore muskets. A pattern lock and chambered breech were adopted. A contract was signed with Remington to provide 20,000 locks and chambered breeches. The first batch of parts was delivered in the March 1856 and the conversion process started. The conversion was preformed at Frankford Arsenal. Rear sights were provided by Harpers Ferry. 1,800 conversion were completed in 1856. In 1857 the total converted was 8,137. In 1858 the total converted was 8,130. This included 1,300 for the state of New Jersey. In 1859 the total converted was 3,885. In 1858 the supply of rear sights was exhausted and from then on the barrel was rifled but no rear sight was installed.
This example is dated 1855 on the lock and has the Ilion address. The chambered breech date is 1856. While the reference works do mention 1855 dated locks they typically have the Herkimer address. The metal has a grey color with some patches of light pitting. The markings are all clear and readable. On the breech is stamped a "V" over "46" , which is also stamped on the front barrel band. This one has the long range rear sight and is rifled with good rifling. The primer mechanism is complete. The ramrod is origional and has the recess on the front for the nose of the elongated ball. The musket itself was made a Harpers Ferry and has an assemblers stamp on most of the small metal parts. A "5" is stamped on the buttplate, side plate, barrel bands and even the larger screws. The stock is solid and full length. The stock flat has good corners and clear inspectors stamps. To the right of the rear lock screw is a "AR" over a "V". And near the tail of the flat is a "V" over a "JAS". The AR is the mark of Adam Ruhlman who was appointed inspector of finished muskets in 1831. The JAS is the mark of John A Schaeffer who was appointed an inspector of Arms also in 1831. He stayed and was at Harpers Ferry when the Arsenal was captured in 1861.