P1853 Enfield Artillery Carbine with Sinclair Hamilton marks
The 1853 Enfield series of Arms includes three band longarms for infantry, two band rifles, cavalry carbines and a artillery carbine. The artillery carbine was intended for troops that needed something with more range than a pistol. The artillery carbine was produced in limited numbers. The Artillery carbine was produced in three types. This example is a type II - which has progressive rifling and some minor modifications including omitting the guide on the bayonet lug and using the knurled ramrod. Confederate general JEB Stuart favored the carbines for this troopers. 1500 carbines were ordered early in the war and this batch was marked with JS Anchor and had engraved numbers. Another 3000 "Artillery Carbines" were ordered in 1863 and 1864. Most Arrived into Wilmington NC.
This example is a Type II Artillery Carbine and is dated 1863. The barrel is 24" long and had the three leaf flip up rear sight. The rifling is deep. The metal is a brown patina. It has a mark on the breech consisting of a S over HC in an oval with stands for Sinclair Hamilton Company as well as Birmingham proof marks. The lock is marked with a crown and the date 1863. The full length stock is a pretty piece of wood and has some light sanding. Behind the trigger guard there are two stamps in the wood consisting of a Crown over SH over G2. These also are Sinclair Hamilton marks. The furniture is present with the exception of the rear sling swivel and the front swivel. Also this originally had a small post in front of the trigger guard that had a loop for attaching the cone protector. The lower barrel band has been replaced during the period of use. The replacement band is from a US 1855 rifle. The ramrod has been replaced with a cutdown 1842 ramrod. The hammer is a period Confederate made replacement. These modifications suggest the carbine was delivered to the south and saw use.
Artillery Carbines with Confederate import marks are very scarce. This example came out of an estate in the Shenandoah Valley.